I originally made this a few years ago when I needed something for a special occasion. If you need to wow guests, this is one spectacular way of doing it. Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients or steps either, it’s really not very hard. And the best part is that it tastes heavenly.
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
I love that this recipe uses natural sugars, and that, per serving for a dessert, the total sugars remain fairly low. The natural sugars are also balanced out by the protein and fat in the recipe, which allows for slow and steady digestion as well as energy!
By Amy Shapiro, MS, RD, CDN
Fresh Fruit Tart (Gluten-free and Dairy-Free)
For the Tart:
3 cups almond flour
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
½ cup butter or palm shortening
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
For the Pastry Cream:
6 egg yolks
2 tablespoons honey
1 ½ teaspoons gelatin
14 ounce-can coconut milk
2 ripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Topping:
3 cups mixed fruit
For the Tart:
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Add all dry ingredients to the food processor and pulse 1-2 times.
- Add diced butter or palm shortening and pulse until the butter is pea-sized.
- With the processor running, add wet ingredients and mix until a dough is formed.
- Take the dough out of the processor and using your hands, spread in a tart or pie pan. Pat it down evenly all around the pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, then let cool.
For the pastry cream:
- Beat egg yolks with the honey.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the coconut milk over medium heat.
- Add the gelatin to the coconut milk and stir until dissolved.
- Slowly stir some of the coconut milk mixture into the egg mixture to bring them to the same temperature, which prevents scrambled eggs!)
- Gently return the warmed egg and coconut mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining coconut milk, whisking constantly.
- Whisk for 5 minutes over the heat and then add the mashed bananas.
- Continue whisking until the mixture is thick, 2-3 minutes more, until the texture resembles pudding.
- Add vanilla extract and stir to incorporate.
- Take off heat and cool in refrigerator for at least an hour.
- When the mixture is cool, pour into the tart shell.
- Place sliced fruit, berries, etc. on top of the pastry cream in a pleasing manner. It is easiest to put the bigger fruits down first and then sprinkle any blueberry-type berries in the spaces leftover.
Per Serving: Calories: 564; Total Fat: 47g; Saturated Fat: 20g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 211mg; Sodium: 179mg; Potassium: 252mg; Carbohydrate: 30g; Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 15g; Protein: 15g
Nutrition Bonus: Iron: 21%; Calcium: 12; Vit A: 12%
You Might Also Like
By Jessica Flanigan
Who doesn’t love a great pumpkin dessert? I made these the night before a little dinner party I was having, and wanted to make something that no one would guess is AIP. I decided on organic apple butter as a secret sweetening ingredient for my pump...
These Fudgy No-Bake Collagen Brownie Bites are just what you need to satisfy your chocolate cravings and give your body the protein it needs to support your body. These protein balls are dairy-free, low carb, and sugar-free! You can’t beat a no-...
Life is just zooming by and I'm frantically trying to catch up. Anyone else?! Yeah, you're not alone. Here's a little reminder for the both of us (cause I sure as heck need it too): slow down. Everything that is meant for you, will be there for you. ...
By Further Food
Go back to those bright summer days with this Tropical Green Smoothie! Its vibrant colors and refreshing look go perfectly with its refreshing, light taste. A mix of antioxidant-rich tropical fruits like mangos, oranges and pineapples with heart-heal...
By Olivia Giordano
Summer is my favorite season for many reasons, the top being that the farmer's markets are absolutely flooded with gorgeous produce. I picked up some organic raspberries the other day and decided to make these hearty breakfast muffins. They're high i...
These Salted Chocolate Almond Butter Cookies are chewy gooey goodness, and made with REAL ingredients that are paleo, gluten free + refined sugar free. Make these healthier yet delicious cookies for a crowd, for the kids, or just for yourself! ;) ...