1 cup pinto beans, soaked overnight
3 cups water
2 inches kombu sea vegetable
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1/2 pound ground turkey meat (pastured)
1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
1 poblano pepper, deseeded and diced
1 tomato, chopped into chunks
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
1 tablespoon fresh savory
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
cooked brown rice
raw milk cheddar cheese
1. Soak beans overnight.
2. Discard the soaking water and cook beans in 3 cups fresh water. Bring beans to a boil and skim off foam.
3. Add kombu, cover and lower to simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
4. Add 1 tsp. sea salt and continue cooking for 1/2 hour.
5. In a large frying pan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Add ground turkey, breaking up into small pieces, and cook 3-4 minutes.
6. Add red pepper, poblano pepper, tomato, thyme, savory, remaining 1/2 tsp. of sea salt and cooked beans.
7. Cover and cook on medium heat for 1/2 hour.
8. Ladle turkey chili over cooked brown rice. Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese.
Per Serving: Calories: 290; Total Fat: 12 g; Saturated Fat: 4 g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g; Cholesterol: 48 mg; Sodium: 1145 mg; Potassium: 381 mg; Carbohydrate: 31 g; Fiber: 7 g; Sugar: 5 g; Protein: 19 g
Nutrition Bonus: Vit C: 118%; Vit A: 33%; Iron:19% ; Calcium: 15%;
I created this recipe as I was looking for ways to increase my protein intake, while keeping it low carb. Zucchini noodles are absolutely delicious! This recipe packs a punch of flavor, is low fat and full of fiber. Its simple and quick and can be pr...
My 3-year-old, Olivia, will not eat fish. She tells me that when she turns 11 she will try salmon. When she’s 16 she will eat other fish. And when she’s 106 she wants to go the supermarket (Whole Foods) alone and pick our whatever she wants… so...
Protein is a crucial part of any diet. A building block for just about every part of your body, protein makes it possible for organs and limbs to grow, bones and muscles to heal, and much more. We developed this Korean Chili Spiced Skirt Steak recipe...
This 5-minute Simple Fruit & Nut Salad proves that a quick salad can be both flavorful and easy. Perfect for a single meal or multiply for more. This recipe also includes the dressing with a homemade dijon vinaigrette!...
Last week I got a craving for meatloaf, so I decided to make a healthy version of it for the family. I think I will add it to our list of “go-to” easy dinners! In order to make it healthy, I loaded this grain-free turkey meatloaf full of veggi...
I love when cooking is easy and takes no time. And leaves nearly no dishes! Oven baked salmon has become my go-to meal when I'm too lazy for kitchen creativity. Where others throw a frozen pizza in the oven, I throw some fish filets in there. I don't...
Send this to friend