1 cup pinto beans, soaked overnight
3 cups water
2 inches kombu sea vegetable
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1/2 pound ground turkey meat (pastured)
1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
1 poblano pepper, deseeded and diced
1 tomato, chopped into chunks
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
1 tablespoon fresh savory
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
cooked brown rice
raw milk cheddar cheese
1. Soak beans overnight.
2. Discard the soaking water and cook beans in 3 cups fresh water. Bring beans to a boil and skim off foam.
3. Add kombu, cover and lower to simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
4. Add 1 tsp. sea salt and continue cooking for 1/2 hour.
5. In a large frying pan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Add ground turkey, breaking up into small pieces, and cook 3-4 minutes.
6. Add red pepper, poblano pepper, tomato, thyme, savory, remaining 1/2 tsp. of sea salt and cooked beans.
7. Cover and cook on medium heat for 1/2 hour.
8. Ladle turkey chili over cooked brown rice. Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese.
Per Serving: Calories: 290; Total Fat: 12 g; Saturated Fat: 4 g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g; Cholesterol: 48 mg; Sodium: 1145 mg; Potassium: 381 mg; Carbohydrate: 31 g; Fiber: 7 g; Sugar: 5 g; Protein: 19 g
Nutrition Bonus: Vit C: 118%; Vit A: 33%; Iron:19% ; Calcium: 15%;
Because they’re just so dang convenient to eat and the color is perfect for this time of year, so bright and cheery! These turmeric flavored/colored flautas taste amazing and that they are made from grain free tortillas! Seriously, our love for Pal...
This is filed under my ‘home-cooking to impress a girl’ folder, but apart from that it is also incredibly healthy. This dish provides plenty of lean protein, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin C, and that all-important dose of turmeric. You can season ...
Mahi mahi is a great option for a firm white fish that is low in mercury with a texture comparable to tuna or swordfish. Mahi mahi is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids as well as selenium, potassium and B vitamins....
I love to travel. I have a subscription to Travel & Leisure purely to read about locations I will one day visit. And I believe it is so important to show the world to our children. With that being said, we don’t often leave the state. So, we tr...
This recipe is so simple and so good. It's a favorite on a busy weeknight when I don't have a lot of time to prepare. It works as a side dish or an entree -- I like it as is, while my husband loves it with leftover chicken and rice mixed in. The juic...
This recipe is inspired by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, who recommends eating Greens, Beans, Onions, Mushrooms, Berries, and Seeds every day (G-BOMBS). The saute includes many of those. I love to make it for dinner and have leftovers the next day for lunch. I s...
Send this to friend