This recipe is a great way to take a traditional holiday recipe and kick it up a notch. Perfect for gluten-free and paleo-followers, it’s also simply a nice alternative to the classic potato recipe. I love topping them with Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. You can experiment with creating different toppings as well, like a lemon-yogurt or avocado creme. Think outside the Chanukkah box!
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
By Nicole Hallisey, RD, CDN
1 pound zucchini (ends cut off and grated)
1 large egg (beaten)
½ cup almond flour
2 tablespoons golden flax meal
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1-2 tablespoons olive oil (or oil of your choice)
pepper to taste
- Place grated zucchini in a colander over the sink. Add salt and gently toss to combine; let sit for 10 minutes. Using a clean dish towel or cheesecloth, drain zucchini completely.
- Mix together all ingredients with the zucchini (except oil) in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Preheat a cast iron pan over medium heat. Pour in just enough oil to lightly coat the bottom.
- Place latkes in 1-tablespoon-sized pieces into the pan, taking care not to overcrowd the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes or until the latkes begin to set up and the bottom is golden brown. Turn over and cook another 1-2 minutes or until golden. Remove from the pan and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Serve immediately while latkes are at their crispiest.
Calories: 163; Total Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 46mg; Sodium: 591mg; Potassium: 423mg; Carbohydrate: 7g; Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 7g
Nutrition Bonus: Vit C: 33%; Iron: 7%
You Might Also Like
Crispy on the outside, chewy in the middle, and filled with all that sweet lemon flavor! These lemon glazed cookies are the perfect gluten-free treat for spring! When it comes to desserts, I’m usually a chocolate girl all the way. But with sprin...
Funny story: I used to be terrified to make ceviche at home. I would always order it out at restaurants and loved having it at friend’s houses, but making it on own?? That was a no-go! That was until I had a homemade version and saw that it really ...
By Amanda Appell
I cannot get enough chocolate! I wanted to create a healthy “superfood” chocolate that was dairy-free, gluten-free, with no guilt associated!...
By Karen Tayeh, Nutritionist
Since diabetes, whether its gestational, Type I or Type II, involves lowering carb intake and increasing healthy lean protein and healthy fats, this meal does it all! One serving of this chicken dish equals less than 15g of carbohydrate (most of i...
By Hillary Bergh
I love chicken wings. Who doesn't? Chiles are a no-go for me, so I opt for the heat of ginger and a little lime. If I'm headed for a picnic or potluck, these are my default, along with a big chopped salad. I also often make these at home for movie ni...
If you’re looking for an easy, plant based dinner this recipe is for you! We’re slowly starting to add more plant based recipes into our dinner rotation over here. I’m much better at adding plant based breakfasts or lunches into our weekly meal...