Nothing soothes the soul and body like a warm bowl of soup. I grew up eating various versions of this soup, and other types of broth that incorporated bones before bone broth became popular! My whole family loves this and it’s a staple all year round, even during summer. The great thing about this is that you can make it ahead and freeze it. You can use the broth as a base for other dishes too.
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
Garlic, onions, scallions and leeks are all very good for your gut, if your gut is in good shape. But someone with IBS often can not tolerate these foods as they contain FODMAPs and cause uncomfortable symptoms. So be sure to know your tolerance!
By Dianne Rishikof, MS, RDN, LDN
Bone-in Short-Rib Soup (Kalbitang)
2 pounds bone-in beef short-ribs
1 korean radish (peeled and cut into 1 inch slices)
5 whole garlic cloves (peeled)
1 yellow onion (roughly cut into chunks)
1 stalk of scallion/green onion (finely diced)
1 stalk of leek (sliced into 2 inch slices)
1 handful of uncooked vermicelli noodles
salt & pepper (to taste)
- Soak ribs in cold water for about 1 hour. Drain blood and discard water.
- In clean pot, cover ribs with fresh water, bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes, discard water.
- Rinse ribs, trim fat.
- In a clean pot, place ribs, garlic, leek, radish and cover with fresh water, bring to boil, then simmer over high heat.
- The soup will be ready after about 30 minutes but you can boil it longer for thicker bone broth (3 hours or more).
- Take out the ribs and radish, put aside.
- Strain the soup, discard onion, garlic, leeks (* if you have time, you can place the soup in the fridge to chill it and skim off the fat, otherwise, straining it will get most of it).
- Add clear soup, ribs, vermicelli in a pot.
- Boil for about 5-10 minutes until noodles are tender.
- Mix in eggs.
- Divide soup, add radish, top with scallions and salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Per Serving: Calories: 392; Total Fat: 20g; Saturated Fat: 9g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 198mg; Sodium: 128mg; Potassium: 248mg; Carbohydrate: 13g; Fiber: 2g; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 41g
Nutrition Bonus: Iron: 8%
You Might Also Like
How does a nice tall subtly sweet, seriously creamy, perfectly spiced, secretly healthy, Golden Spiced Vanilla Latte sound? You guys, this smoothie, is anything but “vanilla” ! It pretty much tastes like gingerbread soft serve and I am here for...
I really, like REALLY REALLY, love pizza but as I’ve stated before it’s usually a pretty heavy meal and I’m not so much a fan of that “I ate way too much!” feeling. So, I’m all about converting my favorite dishes into lighter and healthie...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy, fuss free yet incredible flavorful way to spice up your fish to add to your weekly lunch or dinner rotation then look no further friend, this sweet and spicy, sugar free, 6 minute chipotle BBQ salmon is exa...
By Mackenzie Burgess
This Massaged Kale Salad with Chicken is the perfect, protein-packed dish. Featuring fall produce of your choice so you can customize with your favorites. Add this recipe to your meal prep routine, holiday table, or party platter!...
These Green Superfood Smoothie Parfaits have been on rotation over here and for a good reason! They’re delicious, loaded with nutrients, and contain ingredients that are known to promote breast milk production. Ever since having my baby 3 months...
Low carb, high protein and super simple to make… it’s like everyone’s dreams came true and arrived in the form of a breakfast egg cup! And just because this recipe is low carb doesn’t mean it is low in flavor. These Low Carb Egg Muffins are p...