One of my favorite things to do (not kidding) is browse new grocery stores for fun ingredients I’ve never tried. Or just walk around my normal stores and see what fun things I can find that I haven’t ever used before. I’m cool like that. So I decided to experiment with lemongrass to spice up a lunchtime salad, packed with healthy fats from avocado and filling roasted sweet potatoes!
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
By Ryan Warren, Nutritionist
Lemongrass Turkey & Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
For the sweet potatoes:
2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
2 sweet potatoes (washed, dried and chopped into bite-sized pieces)
½ teaspoon sea salt
optional: spices to taste
For the turkey:
1 pound ground turkey
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
2 tablespoon lemongrass
½ teaspoon sea salt
optional: 1-2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
For the salad:
8 cups mixed greens or spinach
1-2 avocados, pits removed and diced
extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
optional: 1-2 tablespoon fresh chopped onion
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with oil, sea salt, and spices, if you’re using them.
- Spread sweet potatoes evenly on baking sheet, and bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking time.
- For the turkey, Heat olive oil in the cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add turkey, garlic, and ginger, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon into small pieces.
- Continue stirring and breaking up the turkey with your spoon until it is browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- In the last minute or so of cooking, add the salt and stir in the lemongrass and basil. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- To assemble the salads, top a plate/bowl full of lettuce with sweet potato wedges, turkey, avocado, and onion.
- Drizzle with olive oil and devour.
Per Serving: Calories: 411; Total Fat: 27g; Saturated Fat: 10g; Monounsaturated Fat: 11g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 90mg; Sodium: 1278mg; Potassium: 733mg; Carbohydrate: 20g; Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 22g
Nutrition Bonus: Iron:12%; Calcium: 4%; Vit A: 198%; Vit C: 12%
You Might Also Like
How does a nice tall subtly sweet, seriously creamy, perfectly spiced, secretly healthy, Golden Spiced Vanilla Latte sound? You guys, this smoothie, is anything but “vanilla” ! It pretty much tastes like gingerbread soft serve and I am here for...
I really, like REALLY REALLY, love pizza but as I’ve stated before it’s usually a pretty heavy meal and I’m not so much a fan of that “I ate way too much!” feeling. So, I’m all about converting my favorite dishes into lighter and healthie...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy, fuss free yet incredible flavorful way to spice up your fish to add to your weekly lunch or dinner rotation then look no further friend, this sweet and spicy, sugar free, 6 minute chipotle BBQ salmon is exa...
By Mackenzie Burgess
This Massaged Kale Salad with Chicken is the perfect, protein-packed dish. Featuring fall produce of your choice so you can customize with your favorites. Add this recipe to your meal prep routine, holiday table, or party platter!...
These Green Superfood Smoothie Parfaits have been on rotation over here and for a good reason! They’re delicious, loaded with nutrients, and contain ingredients that are known to promote breast milk production. Ever since having my baby 3 months...
Low carb, high protein and super simple to make… it’s like everyone’s dreams came true and arrived in the form of a breakfast egg cup! And just because this recipe is low carb doesn’t mean it is low in flavor. These Low Carb Egg Muffins are p...