Mahi mahi is a great option for a firm white fish that is low in mercury with a texture comparable to tuna or swordfish. Mahi mahi is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids as well as selenium, potassium and B vitamins.
Mahi Mahi Avocado Lettuce Cups (Paleo, Low-Carb)
1 pound Mahi Mahi (may use other wild caught white fish!)
2 tablespoon avocado oil
For the spice rub:
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1-2 heads butter lettuce, washed and leaves separated
1/4 cup Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo
1/2 cup jicama, grated
1 cup Pico De Gallo
1 avocado, sliced
1/2 cup red cabbage sauerkraut
2 limes, quartered
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Pat the mahi mahi dry with paper towels and and portion into 4 filets (about 4 oz each).
- In a small bowl, mix together the spice rub ingredients. Season the fish on both sides.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high and add the avocado oil. Once the oil is heated, add the mahi mahi fillets and cook 3-4 minutes on one side, then flip and cook another 3-4 minutes until outside is browned and fish is cooked through.
- To assemble the tacos, place 1-2 leaves lettuce on a plate and spread with 1-2 tsp chipotle mayo. Add about 2oz of the mahi mahi.
- Top with grated jicama, pico, avocado slices and sauerkraut. Squeeze lime on top and garnish with fresh cilantro, serve with a lime wedge. Repeat with the remaining ingredients!
Per Serving: Calories: 377; Total Fat: 25 g; Saturated Fat: 3 g; Monounsaturated Fat: 8 g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g; Cholesterol: 122 mg; Sodium: 1295 mg; Potassium: 923 mg; Carbohydrate: 11 g; Fiber: 5 g; Sugar: 4 g; Protein: 29 g
Vitamin C: 50%; Vitamin A: 41%; Iron: 13%; Calcium: 3%
You Might Also Like
By Amanda Appell
I cannot get enough chocolate! I wanted to create a healthy “superfood” chocolate that was dairy-free, gluten-free, with no guilt associated!...
By Karen Tayeh, Nutritionist
Since diabetes, whether its gestational, Type I or Type II, involves lowering carb intake and increasing healthy lean protein and healthy fats, this meal does it all! One serving of this chicken dish equals less than 15g of carbohydrate (most of i...
By Hillary Bergh
I love chicken wings. Who doesn't? Chiles are a no-go for me, so I opt for the heat of ginger and a little lime. If I'm headed for a picnic or potluck, these are my default, along with a big chopped salad. I also often make these at home for movie ni...
If you’re looking for an easy, plant based dinner this recipe is for you! We’re slowly starting to add more plant based recipes into our dinner rotation over here. I’m much better at adding plant based breakfasts or lunches into our weekly meal...
You have got to make this no sugar added jello fruit cake this weekend! I love that this recipe is SO healthy - it's heaping with berries and antioxidants- has an awesome fun, texture - berries suspended in jello! And the best thing about this jell...
So many of you have been requesting easy meal prep ideas! If you know me, you know how much this excites me since I’m all about the convenient and the healthy. Being able to prep a whole meal using just simple, clean ingredients that can power me t...