Mahi mahi is a great option for a firm white fish that is low in mercury with a texture comparable to tuna or swordfish. Mahi mahi is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids as well as selenium, potassium and B vitamins.
Mahi Mahi Avocado Lettuce Cups (Paleo, Low-Carb)
1 pound Mahi Mahi (may use other wild caught white fish!)
2 tablespoon avocado oil
For the spice rub:
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1-2 heads butter lettuce, washed and leaves separated
1/4 cup Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo
1/2 cup jicama, grated
1 cup Pico De Gallo
1 avocado, sliced
1/2 cup red cabbage sauerkraut
2 limes, quartered
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Pat the mahi mahi dry with paper towels and and portion into 4 filets (about 4 oz each).
- In a small bowl, mix together the spice rub ingredients. Season the fish on both sides.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high and add the avocado oil. Once the oil is heated, add the mahi mahi fillets and cook 3-4 minutes on one side, then flip and cook another 3-4 minutes until outside is browned and fish is cooked through.
- To assemble the tacos, place 1-2 leaves lettuce on a plate and spread with 1-2 tsp chipotle mayo. Add about 2oz of the mahi mahi.
- Top with grated jicama, pico, avocado slices and sauerkraut. Squeeze lime on top and garnish with fresh cilantro, serve with a lime wedge. Repeat with the remaining ingredients!
Per Serving: Calories: 377; Total Fat: 25 g; Saturated Fat: 3 g; Monounsaturated Fat: 8 g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g; Cholesterol: 122 mg; Sodium: 1295 mg; Potassium: 923 mg; Carbohydrate: 11 g; Fiber: 5 g; Sugar: 4 g; Protein: 29 g
Vitamin C: 50%; Vitamin A: 41%; Iron: 13%; Calcium: 3%
You Might Also Like
If you’re looking for a quick and easy, fuss free yet incredible flavorful way to spice up your fish to add to your weekly lunch or dinner rotation then look no further friend, this sweet and spicy, sugar free, 6 minute chipotle BBQ salmon is exa...
By Further Food
Go back to those bright summer days with this Tropical Green Smoothie! Its vibrant colors and refreshing look go perfectly with its refreshing, light taste. A mix of antioxidant-rich tropical fruits like mangos, oranges and pineapples with heart-heal...
These Green Superfood Smoothie Parfaits have been on rotation over here and for a good reason! They’re delicious, loaded with nutrients, and contain ingredients that are known to promote breast milk production. Ever since having my baby 3 months...
Low carb, high protein and super simple to make… it’s like everyone’s dreams came true and arrived in the form of a breakfast egg cup! And just because this recipe is low carb doesn’t mean it is low in flavor. These Low Carb Egg Muffins are p...
Make this colorful dish for dinner any day of the week! Mahi Mahi is so easy to make plus it's tender and delicious. The homemade mango salsa is the perfect topping and bursts with flavor. Incorporating more fish into your diet is great for heart hea...
By balance with b
The first time I made the salmon burgers, I seared them in my cast iron for a few minutes on each side, ensuring crispy edges and a juicy middle. This time I decided to bake them in the oven, they were still really juicy and just as flavorful, but we...