Beets – you either love them or you hate them, but everyone can agree that these dark hued roots do amazing things for your health. On Earth Day this year I wanted to celebrate with a fun recipe “of the earth” and what better way to celebrate than with the the beloved and ubiquitous beetroot soup of Eastern Europe? There are many ways to make borscht, from hot and hearty to cold and demure. Although hot borscht with chunks of beetroot and beef broth is comforting on a wintry day, this cold puréed version might be just what you’re looking for as spring moves into summer and appetites are better pleased with brighter, lighter flavors.
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
By Katie Bishop, MS, Nutritionist
Midsummer Borscht (Beet Soup)
1 pound red beets (scrubbed cleaned)
1 medium onion (chopped)
1.5-2.5 cups chicken broth (if not homemade, then low sodium)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 lemon (juiced)
freshly ground black pepper
1 cup yogurt or sour cream
Chopped dill or fennel fronds (for garnish)
Optional: Radish flowers (for garnish)
- Steam beets in a medium-large pot over about 2 inches of simmering water (about 2.5 cups).
- Cook beets for 20 minutes.
- Add onions to water simmering below beets and continue cooking until beets are tender when pierced with a fork, about another 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit until beets are cool enough to touch.
- Peel beets by sliding off skin under cold running water, dice, and add to the oniony water.
- Add 1.5 cups chicken broth and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender until smooth, adding more broth and salt as needed.
- Blend in lemon juice once desired texture has been reached.
- Allow soup to come to room temperature then chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Serve with black pepper, a dollop of yogurt or sour cream, and fennel fronds.
Per Serving: Calories: 145; Total Fat: 0g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 9mg; Sodium: 637mg; Potassium: 271mg; Carbohydrate: 28g; Fiber 3mg; Sugar: 14g; Protein: 12g
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium: 37%; Vit C: 29%
You Might Also Like
How does a nice tall subtly sweet, seriously creamy, perfectly spiced, secretly healthy, Golden Spiced Vanilla Latte sound? You guys, this smoothie, is anything but “vanilla” ! It pretty much tastes like gingerbread soft serve and I am here for...
I really, like REALLY REALLY, love pizza but as I’ve stated before it’s usually a pretty heavy meal and I’m not so much a fan of that “I ate way too much!” feeling. So, I’m all about converting my favorite dishes into lighter and healthie...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy, fuss free yet incredible flavorful way to spice up your fish to add to your weekly lunch or dinner rotation then look no further friend, this sweet and spicy, sugar free, 6 minute chipotle BBQ salmon is exa...
By Mackenzie Burgess
This Massaged Kale Salad with Chicken is the perfect, protein-packed dish. Featuring fall produce of your choice so you can customize with your favorites. Add this recipe to your meal prep routine, holiday table, or party platter!...
By Further Food
Go back to those bright summer days with this Tropical Green Smoothie! Its vibrant colors and refreshing look go perfectly with its refreshing, light taste. A mix of antioxidant-rich tropical fruits like mangos, oranges and pineapples with heart-heal...
These Green Superfood Smoothie Parfaits have been on rotation over here and for a good reason! They’re delicious, loaded with nutrients, and contain ingredients that are known to promote breast milk production. Ever since having my baby 3 months...