This mushroom and kale quinoa salad can be eaten hot or cold on the go. Quick, easy and delicious – my kind of recipe!
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
By Denine Rogers
Mushroom and Kale Quinoa
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 cups sliced mushrooms
2 large handfuls kale
2.5 cup vegetable broth
1 cup white quinoa, uncooked
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add minced garlic and saute until slightly softened.
2. Add mushrooms and saute until until just softened. Add additional olive oil if needed.
3. Once mushrooms are just soft, add kale and saute for 1 minute, until kale begins to wilt.
4. Add vegetable broth and quinoa to the pot and stir to combine all ingredients.
5. Bring pot to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. While quinoa is simmering, zest 1/2 lemon. Quinoa is done cooking when each granule appears slightly translucent and all liquid is absorbed.
6. Remove pot from heat and add lemon zest. Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Store quinoa in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Note: If you’d like more of a lemon taste, feel free to add juice of lemon as well. I added a tiny bit of lemon juice in addition to the zest.
Per Serving: Calories: 176 g; Total Fat: 8 g; Saturated Fat: 1 g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5 g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 2202 mg; Potassium: 685 mg; Carbohydrate: 25 g; Fiber: 8 g; Sugar: 5 g; Protein: 15 g
You Might Also Like
By Jessica Flanigan
Who doesn’t love a great pumpkin dessert? I made these the night before a little dinner party I was having, and wanted to make something that no one would guess is AIP. I decided on organic apple butter as a secret sweetening ingredient for my pump...
Eggs are a staple in our house. Because of their incredible versatility we often enjoy them multiple times a week and for any meal. They’re an excellent vehicle for incorporating more greens into our diet as well. These days, we’re making an even...
These Fudgy No-Bake Collagen Brownie Bites are just what you need to satisfy your chocolate cravings and give your body the protein it needs to support your body. These protein balls are dairy-free, low carb, and sugar-free! You can’t beat a no-...
How does a nice tall subtly sweet, seriously creamy, perfectly spiced, secretly healthy, Golden Spiced Vanilla Latte sound? You guys, this smoothie, is anything but “vanilla” ! It pretty much tastes like gingerbread soft serve and I am here for...
I really, like REALLY REALLY, love pizza but as I’ve stated before it’s usually a pretty heavy meal and I’m not so much a fan of that “I ate way too much!” feeling. So, I’m all about converting my favorite dishes into lighter and healthie...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy, fuss free yet incredible flavorful way to spice up your fish to add to your weekly lunch or dinner rotation then look no further friend, this sweet and spicy, sugar free, 6 minute chipotle BBQ salmon is exa...