Who doesn’t love a great pumpkin dessert? I made these the night before a little dinner party I was having, and wanted to make something that no one would guess is AIP. I decided on organic apple butter as a secret sweetening ingredient for my pumpkin parfaits. I decided on Apple Butter because it was utterly fall-like in its flavor, is easy to make yourself (apples, cinnamon and a crockpot!) and adds a dimension that another sugar like maple syrup or honey couldn’t. Apple butter has a great burst of tart that pairs well with the cinnamon and ginger in the pumpkin mixture. An unexpected surprise that really enhances the flavor of the whole dessert. This dish is just layer upon layer of fall flavors!
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
By Dianne Rishikof, MS, RDN, LDN
Pumpkin Parfaits (AIP)
4 cups cooked pumpkin or winter squash
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 can full fat coconut milk
1 jar organic apple butter (be sure it is 100% apples!)
1 cup toasted coconut
2 wide-mouth mason pint jars
- Heat 4 cups of pumpkin puree in a saucepan.
- Add molasses, salt, ginger and cinnamon. Heat through. Set aside
- Open cans of full fat AIP-approved coconut milk. Scoop out the solid coconut at the top of the can leaving behind the liquid coconut water.
- In a bowl, beat the solid coconut until it stiffens up, about 2 minutes.
- Toast coconut shreds in oven or in a skillet until starting to brown.
- To assemble, spoon layers of pumpkin about 2 inches thick into bottom of two wide-mouth pint mason jars.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of apple butter on top of that layer.
- Then spoon about 3 tablespoons of the whipped coconut cream and then top with a small handful of toasted coconut.
- Repeat once more to create two layers in each jar. Serve!
Per Serving: Calories: 362; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 29mg; Sodium: 1448mg; Potassium: 1018mg; Carbohydrate: 73g; Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 41g; Protein: 8g
Nutrition Bonus: Vit A: 376%; Iron:23%; Vit C: 27%; Calcium: 16%
You Might Also Like
The perfect easy, healthy summer dessert recipe. These s’mores cookie cups are ready in just 15 minutes. A cookie base topped with melted chocolate and fluffy marshmallows. They’re a great indoor s’mores recipe if you don’t have access to a b...
I love what I do, but I’ll be honest that it requires a lot of energy. Coaching, encouraging people over a microphone, bumping loud music in the perfect high intensity moment of a workout – it all requires me to be “on” for extended periods o...
This Keto-lover's dessert is a powerhouse for the holiday season. The star of this recipe: Further Food Premium Gelatin! Gelatin is the perfect addition to any dessert, while also adding a ton of health benefits to support skin, hair, nails...
By Dana James
Last week I received a desperate call from a girlfriend. “I need a fish recipe to impress a new man”. I’m pretty simple with my fish recipes and they usually go along the lines of… firm fish (like wild salmon or halibut) cooked in a cast iron...
By Dr. Kellyann Petrucci
Looking for a delicious way to boost immunity every day? Look no further! This simple Immune Boosting Elderberry Smoothie Bowl recipe will give you that extra immune support to help you stay at your best. The superstar ingredient here is the elderber...