I’m always looking for great risotto additions in terms of seasonal vegetables. This one hits the spot when the weather is warm!
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
By Casey Giltner, Nutritionist
2 cloves garlic (diced)
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
salt and pepper (to taste)
chicken or vegetable stock cube
4 cups water
1 courgette (sliced thin)
1/2 cup fresh peas
1/2 box of risotto rice
1 teaspoon olive oil
Optional: lemon juice, grated parmesan
- Sauté garlic in a well olive oiled pan with the pine nuts, chili flakes, and some salt and pepper.
- Sauté in low heat until you start smelling the garlic permeate the room.
- As you are doing this place your veggie or chicken stock cube in 4 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- After the garlic is sautéed, add the rice into the pan and stir to coat with the oil. Don’t add the stock until the rice starts to get a touch translucent, usually about 5 minutes.
- Slowly start adding in a ladle of stock and stir the rice until absorbed. Continue this process for about 20 minutes .
- When 10 minutes into this process, add courgette (zucchini) to rice mixture.
- Once the rice is just about finished, add in the peas and turn off the heat.
- Let is sit for 5 minutes covered with a tea towel.
- If desired, add cheese and lemon juice. Stir and serve!
Per Serving: Calories: 125; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 299mg; Potassium: 131mg; Carbohydrate: 13g; Fiber: 1g; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 2g
Nutrition Bonus: Vit C: 25%; Iron: 5%
You Might Also Like
By Casey Giltner, Nutritionist
In a moment of panic, with a rapidly browning turkey in the oven, and friends coming to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday in mere hours, I realized that I had forgotten to pick up a turkey baster. A cursory glance in the fridge led me to six-pack of...
By Tiffany Kingsley
Here’s another option for a delicious, healthy holiday main dish! These Hazelnut Encrusted, Cranberry Stuffed Turkey Tenders will wow your guests, and they’re actually pretty simple to make. The low carb cranberry sauce adds a delicious zing, and...
By Eddie McNamara
I made this with dinner last night and it was so good I was going to save it for the book, but forget that; I need to be a good Socialist and redistribute the wealth of my Brussels Sprouts game. I could live on those little cabbages alone. If they’...
These low carb keto Garlic Herb Biscuits are so flavorful and dense, you won’t believe they are healthy! They take less than 20 minutes to make and are gluten-free, keto, and low carb. I am super pumped to share this on my blog today! I first sa...
By Jessica Remmers
I love sushi! Eating vegan definitely doesn't mean you need to give up amazing sushi. I used to love going and getting sushi but discovered just how quick and easy it is to make at home. Now I make this all the time because it satisfies my craving, i...
I love my air fryer! I held off getting one for a while because I live in a really small apartment with a tiny kitchen. But I kept seeing so many delicious ways to use air fryers, so I decided to order a small one. Now I'm addicted! I am constantly e...