A little twist on a classic salad roll is up next! I mean, come on, how excited are you to try out walnut beef? After adapting the recipe and practicing it a few times I finally came up with this goodie! These rolls are slightly time consuming but when they are made they are the perfect snack to bring along to school, work or on the road. They are super easy to stow away in a container and enjoy later when you’re feeling up for a delicious snack. I highly recommend enjoying with the bad-ass peanut sauce I’ve suggested — it pairs perfectly with the slightly crunchy walnuts and fresh and creamy avocado and mango! Yum!
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
By Paige Geimer
Summer Salad Rolls with Walnut Beef and Peanut Sauce
2 cups (200 g) crushed walnuts
Juice of 1 lime
3 tablespoons (45 ml) soy sauce
1 tablespoon (13 g) coconut sugar
½ teaspoon fresh grated fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tablespoon (20 g) hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon 5-spice powder
Salt and pepper to taste
10 rice paper rolls
3 cups (100 g) alfalfa sprouts or 3 cups (528 g) cooked white rice noodles
1 ripe mango, thinly sliced
1 large bunch of mint, thinly sliced
1 large bunch of cilantro, stems removed
1 large yellow pepper, cut into matchsticks
1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
3 medium carrots, shredded
jar of bottled Asian peanut thai sauce
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the walnuts, lime juice, soy sauce, coconut sugar, ginger, garlic, hot sauce, 5-spice powder and salt and pepper. Give the mixture a good stir and set aside.
- Bring 4 cups (1 L) of water to a boil. Slice or cut any fillings you will be using. Arrange a preparation station with all your ingredients.
- Fill a large shallow dish with the boiling water and place a damp cloth next to it on the kitchen counter. Have a plate and another damp dish towel on hand.
- When you are ready to assemble your rolls, dip the rice paper into the water just long enough to soften, 10 to 20 seconds, then quickly and gently transfer to the damp cloth.
- Add your desired fillings, then gently roll over once, fold in both sides and then roll again to seal the salad roll. Place onto a serving plate and cover with another damp, room temperature kitchen towel.
- Repeat above steps until you run out of toppings. Use peanut dressing as a dip. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for 2 days.
If you are prepping these rolls to eat during the week I recommend leaving out the mango and avocado because they will brown and not stay as fresh as the other vegetables.
Per Serving: Calories: 694; Total Fat: 47 g; Saturated Fat: 5 g; Monounsaturated Fat: 9 g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 29 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 1004 mg; Potassium: 904 mg; Carbohydrate: 56 g; Fiber: 16 g; Sugar: 19 g; Protein: 22 g
Vitamin C: 250%; Vitamin A: 186%; Iron: 27%; Calcium: 17%;
You Might Also Like
By Amanda Appell
I cannot get enough chocolate! I wanted to create a healthy “superfood” chocolate that was dairy-free, gluten-free, with no guilt associated!...
By Karen Tayeh, Nutritionist
Since diabetes, whether its gestational, Type I or Type II, involves lowering carb intake and increasing healthy lean protein and healthy fats, this meal does it all! One serving of this chicken dish equals less than 15g of carbohydrate (most of i...
By Hillary Bergh
I love chicken wings. Who doesn't? Chiles are a no-go for me, so I opt for the heat of ginger and a little lime. If I'm headed for a picnic or potluck, these are my default, along with a big chopped salad. I also often make these at home for movie ni...
If you’re looking for an easy, plant based dinner this recipe is for you! We’re slowly starting to add more plant based recipes into our dinner rotation over here. I’m much better at adding plant based breakfasts or lunches into our weekly meal...
You have got to make this no sugar added jello fruit cake this weekend! I love that this recipe is SO healthy - it's heaping with berries and antioxidants- has an awesome fun, texture - berries suspended in jello! And the best thing about this jell...
So many of you have been requesting easy meal prep ideas! If you know me, you know how much this excites me since I’m all about the convenient and the healthy. Being able to prep a whole meal using just simple, clean ingredients that can power me t...