This recipe is a great way to take a traditional holiday recipe and kick it up a notch. Perfect for gluten-free and paleo-followers, it’s also simply a nice alternative to the classic potato recipe. I love topping them with Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. You can experiment with creating different toppings as well, like a lemon-yogurt or avocado creme. Think outside the Chanukkah box!
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
By Nicole Hallisey, RD, CDN
1 pound zucchini (ends cut off and grated)
1 large egg (beaten)
½ cup almond flour
2 tablespoons golden flax meal
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1-2 tablespoons olive oil (or oil of your choice)
pepper to taste
- Place grated zucchini in a colander over the sink. Add salt and gently toss to combine; let sit for 10 minutes. Using a clean dish towel or cheesecloth, drain zucchini completely.
- Mix together all ingredients with the zucchini (except oil) in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Preheat a cast iron pan over medium heat. Pour in just enough oil to lightly coat the bottom.
- Place latkes in 1-tablespoon-sized pieces into the pan, taking care not to overcrowd the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes or until the latkes begin to set up and the bottom is golden brown. Turn over and cook another 1-2 minutes or until golden. Remove from the pan and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Serve immediately while latkes are at their crispiest.
Calories: 163; Total Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 46mg; Sodium: 591mg; Potassium: 423mg; Carbohydrate: 7g; Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 7g
Nutrition Bonus: Vit C: 33%; Iron: 7%
You Might Also Like
The perfect easy, healthy summer dessert recipe. These s’mores cookie cups are ready in just 15 minutes. A cookie base topped with melted chocolate and fluffy marshmallows. They’re a great indoor s’mores recipe if you don’t have access to a b...
By Dr. Taz, MD
Who wouldn’t want to come home to this! Just place the chicken under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp the skin and cook up a quick pot of rice or quinoa. You have a healthy, hearty meal for very little effort. Save the bones to make a delicio...
I love what I do, but I’ll be honest that it requires a lot of energy. Coaching, encouraging people over a microphone, bumping loud music in the perfect high intensity moment of a workout – it all requires me to be “on” for extended periods o...
This Keto-lover's dessert is a powerhouse for the holiday season. The star of this recipe: Further Food Premium Gelatin! Gelatin is the perfect addition to any dessert, while also adding a ton of health benefits to support skin, hair, nails...
By Dana James
Last week I received a desperate call from a girlfriend. “I need a fish recipe to impress a new man”. I’m pretty simple with my fish recipes and they usually go along the lines of… firm fish (like wild salmon or halibut) cooked in a cast iron...
By Dr. Kellyann Petrucci