You will never miss eating mashed potatoes now that you can have deliciously creamy cauliflower bacon mash instead! A wonderful, low-carb swap for ordinary mashed potatoes.
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
By Emily Cooper, RD, LD
Easy, Creamy Cauliflower Bacon Mash
1⁄2 pound pastured, uncured bacon, diced
3⁄4 to 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
4 tablespoons grass-fed unsalted butter
2 tablespoons Bulletproof Brain Octane oil (or MCT or coconut oil)
1⁄2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1. In a large skillet, lightly cook the bacon over medium-low heat. Do not let it get crispy (keep those fats intact) and do not let the fat smoke.
2. Set the bacon aside and reserve the fat in the pan.
3. In a pot fitted with a steamer insert, bring water to a boil. Add the cauliflower, cover, and steam until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
4. In a high-powered blender, blend three-fourths of the cauliflower with the butter, oil, vinegar, and salt to taste.
5. Stir in the bacon and remaining cauliflower.
6. Pulse the mixture until chunky. For amazing flavor, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat (as long as it didn’t smoke when you were cooking the bacon at a low temperature).
Calories: 480; Total Fat: 41 g; Saturated Fat: 25 g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0 g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 93 mg; Sodium: 1488 mg; Potassium: 551 mg; Carbohydrate: 6 g; Fiber: 3 g; Sugar: 2 g; Protein: 24 g
Vitamin C: 103%; Vit A: 10%; Iron: 4%; Calcium: 10%
You Might Also Like
Want to know one of my favorite things about summer? All the fun and fresh produce! And while most people associate watermelon, peaches, cherries, etc. with the summer season, I bet you didn’t know about the wide variety of melons that are also in ...
By Bryn Lutes
I love salmon! I used to be convinced that I was not a fan of fish, but my girlfriend made this dish for me and completely changed my mind :)...
Recipe testing truly pays off when you finally create an idea you’ve had in your head perfectly. The texture of these Chocolate Protein Waffles is incredible and the taste is oh so chocolaty. I also used Bobs Red Mill Paleo flour to keep these glu...
By Rowena Rivera
Beets - you either love them or you hate them, but everyone can agree that these dark hued roots do amazing things for your health. On Earth Day this year I wanted to celebrate with a fun recipe "of the earth" and what better way to celebrate than wi...
By Steph Coogan MS RDN, Nutritionist
I created this recipe because I'm a huge fan of chia puddings for breakfast! I have it at least a couple of times a week and always include some nuts and fruit for a balanced start to the day. For this recipe, I included dried plums in order to suppo...
Just because I haven’t been eating meat aside from eggs and fish doesn’t mean I’m sacrificing my enjoyment of grilled food. I’ve been cooking up lots of delicious summer inspired dishes that are PERFECT for the grill (or grill pan)! And the b...