Did you know that turmeric powder can be made into a face mask that helps treat acne, reduce signs of aging and leave your skin glowing? Not only can using turmeric daily help reduce inflammation and boost immunity through its plentiful antioxidants, but it is also a natural skin healer. Learn more about the skin benefits of turmeric and get 3 recipes for your own homemade turmeric face mask.
Making Turmeric Face Masks and Why They’re Great for Your Skin!
Who doesn’t just love a refreshing face mask? It’s the perfect way to start or finish your day. Treat yourself this week and try out a new face mask that uses turmeric for skin and will have your skin excited for more: the turmeric face mask.
In simple terms, the reason why turmeric face masks are particularly incredible is because they consist of turmeric, one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory foods which is also high in antioxidants. While you may be used to adding turmeric to your teas, golden milks or curries, another way to get the beneficial aspects of turmeric for skin is to apply it directly to your skin. You’ll still be able to reap the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits to your body as well as your skin. Get ready to naturally heal your skin!
What Can Turmeric Do for Your Skin?
As we previously stated, turmeric has potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can help your body and skin. Turmeric root can help promote expedited skin repair and improve the skin in the process thanks to its antimicrobial properties. These properties are what aid in fighting off those pesky pathogenic bacteria that cause acne. Being anti-inflammatory means that turmeric can also promote speedier wound healing, as well as prevent and hinder blemishes and skin-related irritation. Being an antioxidant means that turmeric can help reduce overall cell damage.
So anti-aging may just be the right adjective to describe the major health benefit of turmeric since it can really leave your skin glowing spotless! A turmeric skin mask can help you to finally say goodbye to unsightly scars and marks.
If you suffer from poor skin conditions, eczema, psoriasis, or skin damage, a turmeric face mask may just do the trick over time! Here are three turmeric skin mask recipes for you to try. They are all simple to make and will leave your skin glowing and feeling better after even just the first try.
Turmeric Mask #1
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons flour (any type of flour works)
3 tablespoons milk
A few drops of honey
- Combine turmeric with flour. This is your dry ingredient mix.
- Once evenly mixed, add milk. This will cause the mix to become more like a paste. Some people like to use yogurt to particularly help with acne – feel free to use that, but keep in mind it may cause the mix to be a bit of a thicker paste. Stir thoroughly.
- Add in just a few drops of honey. Honey is soothing and great for skin repair and acne prevention. Mix once more to distribute the honey.
- Rub a thin layer over your face. Turmeric masks generally do not stain, however it still is important to be safe with the amount you apply regardless. Your hands may stain a little, however this can be easily fixed by simply washing your hands promptly.
- Wait 20 minutes. This will allow the mask to dry.
- Rinse off the mask. It’s recommended to do this in the shower – it’s much easier and more efficient. Gently scrub your face to help remove the mask.
Turmeric Mask #2 – Featuring Further Food’s Daily Turmeric Tonic
1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
2 tablespoons Daily Turmeric Tonic
- Melt extra-virgin coconut oil. As you may already know, coconut oil is a beloved ingredient in the beauty world for its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties!
- In a clean bowl, add Daily Turmeric Tonic.
- Add the melted coconut oil slowly into the bowl with Daily Turmeric Tonic. Pour a little and pause to mix – keep doing this until you have a nice paste. It should look thick yet smooth.
- Apply the paste to your face. To help, we recommend a cosmetic brush. If not, fingers are perfectly fine (just a little messier because of the oil!).
- Wait for 20 minutes. Let the mask hug your skin.
- Rinse off. Once again, showering is probably easier, though we advise you to use lukewarm water when rinsing off the mask (lots of us prefer hot showers, we know).
This turmeric mask consisting of Daily Turmeric Tonic is the simplest one on this list because it only has 2 ingredients. But really, with the Daily Turmeric Tonic you are getting the benefit of turmeric and 7 more superfoods that work together in the face mask! This includes:
- Turmeric – natural painkiller, strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant root
- Schisandra berry – adaptogenic herb which enhances mood
- Boswellia – immune boosting and pain reducing adaptogen
- Ginger – anti-inflammatory and digestion-improving root
- Cardamom – anti-inflammatory root that can also help fight infection
- Cinnamon – potent spice full of antioxidants
- Cloves – anti-microbial aromatic buds loaded with antioxidant properties
- Black pepper – classic spice that enhances the bioavailability of turmeric
The ultimate team of powerful ingredients to provide anti-inflammatory, antioxidants skin benefits to your turmeric skin mask.
Turmeric Mask #3
½ teaspoon rice flour
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon aloe vera gel
5 drops organic tea tree oil
- Once again, start with the dry ingredients. Mix rice flour with turmeric.
- Add aloe vera gel and just 5 drops of organic tea tree oil to the bowl. Mix the ingredients together until they form a thick, even paste.
- Lightly apply the paste to your face. Make sure to cover problem spots (particular spots on your face that are prone to acne or blemishes).
- Wait for 20 minutes. 20 tends to be the magic number for these face masks!
- Rinse the mask off with lukewarm water.
A Few Turmeric Skin Mask Tips from the Further Food Family:
- If the mask seems to be a little difficult to remove initially, let the water soak into it first before removing.
- Feel free to add your own organic ingredients within reason! Turmeric Mask #2 may technically have only two ingredients, but the Daily Turmeric Tonic ingredient is composed of so many amazing, healthy components!
- Make sure you apply a thin layer to your face. If the mask is too thick, you may just be wasting ingredients you could use for your next mask (or meal).
- Use your mask before bed. This will help you sleep off any potential minor side effects a few people experience: staining and/or irritation. You’ll also wake up feeling very good about your skin!
- Use a moisturizer after rinsing off the mask. Think of this as your sort of leave-in conditioner after already conditioning your hair – it could only benefit you!
Want to read more?