The coconut cream in this recipe is naturally thyroid-supportive and it also lends a delicious creaminess without the dairy!
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
By Denine Rogers
Acorn Squash Shepherd’s Pie
1 acorn squash
¼ cup water
1 zucchini, diced
½ cup onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 lb ground grass-fed beef or bison
Salt and pepper to taste
½ tsp ground thyme
½ tsp ground sage
2 cups bone broth
2 cups spinach
¼ cup coconut cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut squash in half and place in baking dish, flesh side down. Add ¼ cup water to bottom of the pan to help steam squash as it cooks. Cook squash in oven for about 45 minutes or until tender and cooked through.
- Dice onion, garlic, and zucchini. Preheat large skillet on stovetop over medium-high heat. Add coconut oil and onion and garlic. Allow to cook until tender and translucent. Add meat to pan and sprinkle with salt, pepper, sage, and thyme. Cook meat until browned.
- Once meat has browned, add zucchini, spinach, and bone broth to pan and allow to simmer over medium-low heat until vegetables are cooked through.
- Once squash is done cooking, remove from oven and allow to slightly cool. Turn off oven. Once squash is slightly cooled, scrape the squash out of the skin and place into medium bowl. Discard skin.
- Place cooked squash in medium bowl and mash with coconut cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place mashed squash on top of meat and vegetables in the skillet. Serve in the skillet and scoop out portions to put onto plates. Serve warm.
Per Serving: Calories: 323; Total Fat: 18 g; Saturated Fat: 11 g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5 g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g; Cholesterol: 69 mg; Sodium: 326 mg; Potassium: 1190 mg; Carbohydrate: 17 g; Fiber: 3 g; Sugar: 2 g; Protein: 28 g
Vitamin C: 39%;Vit A: 37%; Iron: 28%;Calcium: 7%;
You Might Also Like
By Rowena Rivera
Beets - you either love them or you hate them, but everyone can agree that these dark hued roots do amazing things for your health. On Earth Day this year I wanted to celebrate with a fun recipe "of the earth" and what better way to celebrate than wi...
Just because I haven’t been eating meat aside from eggs and fish doesn’t mean I’m sacrificing my enjoyment of grilled food. I’ve been cooking up lots of delicious summer inspired dishes that are PERFECT for the grill (or grill pan)! And the b...
An easy, 12 minute dinner with the perfect sweet and salty flavor combo! I picked up some of their fresh Norwegian Atlantic Salmon and it had the best texture for this Air Fryer Honey Sriracha Salmon. Seriously such an affordable way to get high qual...
Funny story: I used to be terrified to make ceviche at home. I would always order it out at restaurants and loved having it at friend’s houses, but making it on own?? That was a no-go! That was until I had a homemade version and saw that it really ...
By Karen Tayeh, Nutritionist
Since diabetes, whether its gestational, Type I or Type II, involves lowering carb intake and increasing healthy lean protein and healthy fats, this meal does it all! One serving of this chicken dish equals less than 15g of carbohydrate (most of i...
If you’re looking for an easy, plant based dinner this recipe is for you! We’re slowly starting to add more plant based recipes into our dinner rotation over here. I’m much better at adding plant based breakfasts or lunches into our weekly meal...