Avocado toast is an absolute favorite of mine, and it’s packed with nutrients and healthy fats. I love experimenting with ways to up the ante, like topping with an over-easy egg for breakfast or with thinly sliced radishes for a crunchier midday snack. This tart jam is a great addition, and the perfect use for those extra tomatoes in your kitchen that are starting to soften or bruise. I adore the rich, roasted flavor that naturally comes out in the tomatoes, but feel free to add a bit of honey or cinnamon to this recipe for a sweet or more seasonal flavor!
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
By Nicole Hallissey, RD, CDN
Avocado Toast with Roasted Tomato Jam
4 vine tomatoes (or as many as you’d like, quartered)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
sea salt (to taste)
Optional: Substitute tomato jam with sun-dried tomatoes to cut cooking time to 2 minutes and prep time to 3 minutes
1 ripe avocado
juice of 1/2 lemon
sea salt (to taste)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
4 pieces thinly sliced multi-grain toast (use thin cracker crisps for a lighter snack option)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Toss the tomatoes in olive oil, sea salt, and pepper to taste.
- Place tomatoes on a small baking sheet, uncovered, in the oven and let cook for at least one hour. The tomato juices should simmer actively.
- Check every 20 minutes, and spoon juices over the tomatoes. Continue until you have the consistency you prefer (I like a chunky, dark roast flavor, which was about two hours total).
- Remove the jam from the oven and gently mash with the back of a fork to create a chunky but even texture. Let sit to cool.
- I eat this jam fresh, so I simply put it into jars and keep it in the fridge.
- Mash avocado with a fork, keeping the texture slightly chunky.
- Add the lemon juice and sea salt, to taste.
- Spread mixture onto toast or crisps.
- Garnish with some extra red pepper flakes, a drizzle of olive oil, and a dollop of tomato jam. Serve immediately.
Per Serving: Calories: 268; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 9g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 225mg; Potassium: 657mg; Carbohydrate: 28g; Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 5g
Nutrition Bonus: Vit C: 56%; Vit A: 13%; Iron: 5%
You Might Also Like
The perfect easy, healthy summer dessert recipe. These s’mores cookie cups are ready in just 15 minutes. A cookie base topped with melted chocolate and fluffy marshmallows. They’re a great indoor s’mores recipe if you don’t have access to a b...
I love what I do, but I’ll be honest that it requires a lot of energy. Coaching, encouraging people over a microphone, bumping loud music in the perfect high intensity moment of a workout – it all requires me to be “on” for extended periods o...
This Keto-lover's dessert is a powerhouse for the holiday season. The star of this recipe: Further Food Premium Gelatin! Gelatin is the perfect addition to any dessert, while also adding a ton of health benefits to support skin, hair, nails...
By Dana James
Last week I received a desperate call from a girlfriend. “I need a fish recipe to impress a new man”. I’m pretty simple with my fish recipes and they usually go along the lines of… firm fish (like wild salmon or halibut) cooked in a cast iron...
By Dr. Kellyann Petrucci
Looking for a delicious way to boost immunity every day? Look no further! This simple Immune Boosting Elderberry Smoothie Bowl recipe will give you that extra immune support to help you stay at your best. The superstar ingredient here is the elderber...