I would definitely give these crispy broccoli tots a try even if you aren’t a huge broccoli lover, the taste isn’t overpowering especially when you use all of your favorite seasonings- I did a mixture of sea salt, pepper, turmeric, cayenne pepper, shredded cashew cheese (or nutritional yeast), and breadcrumbs!
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
By Liz Lederman
Crispy Broccoli Tots (Gluten-Free, Low-Carb)
4 smaller heads of broccoli (about 4 cups chopped finely)
1/3 cup almond flour
1/3 cup gluten free panko crumbs (or other gluten free bread crumbs of choice)
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used shredded cashew cheese, but nutritional yeast works too!)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1-2 teaspoons pepper
few dashes of turmeric (optional)
few dashes of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400 F degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large pot, boil about 5 cups of water, enough so the broccoli is submerged. While the water is heating, cut the stems off of the broccoli and add into the pot. Steam the broccoli for 2 minutes. Drain well.
- Chop the broccoli into fine pieces, almost so it resembles broccoli rice.
- In a large mixing bowl, add ALL of the ingredients above and the chopped broccoli.
- Mix well, until fully combined.
- Using your hands, roll into balls using about 2 tablespoons of the mixture. Then, form the mixture into “tots” / rectangular shapes.
- Place on the baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. Rotate/flip about halfway through! The bites will be crispy on the outside and tender in the middle! Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
Per Serving: Calories: 30; Total Fat: 2 g; Saturated Fat: 1 g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0 g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 22 mg; Sodium: 123 mg; Potassium: 67 mg; Carbohydrate: 1 g; Fiber: 1 g; Sugar: 0 g; Protein: 2 g
Vitamin C: 27%; Vitamin A: 4%; Iron: 1%; Calcium: 3%