Cauliflower has so many nutritional benefits, but with my thyroid condition, I need to be aware of consuming vegetables from the brassica family. I thought to myself, what if I use fermentation to make cauliflower more thyroid-friendly? It worked! And I gain the benefits of eating fermented foods as well as not adversely affecting my thyroid.
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
By Hillary Bergh
DIY: Easy Fermented Cauliflower
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups water (filtered)
1 head cauliflower (cut into small florets)
1-2 teaspoons optional spices: mustard seed, peppercorn, turmeric powder, juniper berry, celery seed, fennel seed
- Dissolve sea salt completely in water to create brine.
- Fill mason jar with cauliflower, arranging to prevent large gaps between pieces, keeping 2″ below rim of jar.
- Add optional spices to jar.
- Pour brine into jar to 1/2″ below rim of jar, tapping on jar to remove trapped air bubbles, and making sure all cauliflower is covered with brine.
- Install fermentation airlock kit as instructed on packaging.
- Keep at stable room temperature (65-75°) for 4 days.
- Open and taste. If it’s sour enough for you liking, replace fermentation airlock kit with standard jar lid and transfer to refrigerator to halt further fermenting. If not, continue fermenting for up to 14 days until you are pleased with the flavor.
Per Jar: Calories: 144; Total Fat: 1g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 2421mg; Potassium: 0mg; Carbohydrate: 30g; Fiber: 14g; Sugar: 14g; Protein: 11g
Nutrition Bonus: Vit C: 445%; Iron: 14%; Calcium: 13%
You Might Also Like
If you’re looking for a quick and easy, fuss free yet incredible flavorful way to spice up your fish to add to your weekly lunch or dinner rotation then look no further friend, this sweet and spicy, sugar free, 6 minute chipotle BBQ salmon is exa...
By Mackenzie Burgess
This Massaged Kale Salad with Chicken is the perfect, protein-packed dish. Featuring fall produce of your choice so you can customize with your favorites. Add this recipe to your meal prep routine, holiday table, or party platter!...
By Further Food
Go back to those bright summer days with this Tropical Green Smoothie! Its vibrant colors and refreshing look go perfectly with its refreshing, light taste. A mix of antioxidant-rich tropical fruits like mangos, oranges and pineapples with heart-heal...
These Green Superfood Smoothie Parfaits have been on rotation over here and for a good reason! They’re delicious, loaded with nutrients, and contain ingredients that are known to promote breast milk production. Ever since having my baby 3 months...
Low carb, high protein and super simple to make… it’s like everyone’s dreams came true and arrived in the form of a breakfast egg cup! And just because this recipe is low carb doesn’t mean it is low in flavor. These Low Carb Egg Muffins are p...
By Olivia Giordano
Summer is my favorite season for many reasons, the top being that the farmer's markets are absolutely flooded with gorgeous produce. I picked up some organic raspberries the other day and decided to make these hearty breakfast muffins. They're high i...