There is nothing like roasting a whole bird. It’s easy, everyone gets to enjoy their favorite part of the bird and the leftovers can be made into soup and stock.
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
Note: To cut down on extra calories and fat, remove the skin before eating.
By Heather Goesch, MPH, RDN, LDN
Herb and Lemon Roasted Chicken
whole chicken (about 4 lbs)
7 garlic cloves (3 minced, reserve rest)
1 lemon (halved)
1 onion (quartered)
1 bunch rosemary (chop 1 tablespoon, reserve sprigs)
1 bunch thyme (chop 1 tablespoon, reserve spring)
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt (to coat)
pepper (to coat)
- Remove giblet and trim access fat.
- Thoroughly dry the chicken.
- Set chicken in iron skillet or roasting pan.
- Mix chopped rosemary, thyme, minced garlic and olive oil (“herb mix”).
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- Coat outside of chicken with herb mix, and the breasts underneath the skin.
- Stuff chicken with lemon, garlic, onion and rosemary and thyme sprigs.
- Roast chicken at 400 degrees F for 70-80 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees (***if you want crispy skin, raise temperature to 450 degrees during the last 10 minutes of baking).
- Let chicken rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!
Per Serving: Calories: 316; Total Fat: 23g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Monounsaturated Fat: 12g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 73mg; Sodium: 221mg; Potassium: 355mg; Carbohydrate: 9g; Fiber: 2g; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 18g
Nutrition Bonus: Vit C: 20%; Iron: 19%
You Might Also Like
How does a nice tall subtly sweet, seriously creamy, perfectly spiced, secretly healthy, Golden Spiced Vanilla Latte sound? You guys, this smoothie, is anything but “vanilla” ! It pretty much tastes like gingerbread soft serve and I am here for...
I really, like REALLY REALLY, love pizza but as I’ve stated before it’s usually a pretty heavy meal and I’m not so much a fan of that “I ate way too much!” feeling. So, I’m all about converting my favorite dishes into lighter and healthie...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy, fuss free yet incredible flavorful way to spice up your fish to add to your weekly lunch or dinner rotation then look no further friend, this sweet and spicy, sugar free, 6 minute chipotle BBQ salmon is exa...
By Mackenzie Burgess
This Massaged Kale Salad with Chicken is the perfect, protein-packed dish. Featuring fall produce of your choice so you can customize with your favorites. Add this recipe to your meal prep routine, holiday table, or party platter!...
By Further Food
Go back to those bright summer days with this Tropical Green Smoothie! Its vibrant colors and refreshing look go perfectly with its refreshing, light taste. A mix of antioxidant-rich tropical fruits like mangos, oranges and pineapples with heart-heal...
These Green Superfood Smoothie Parfaits have been on rotation over here and for a good reason! They’re delicious, loaded with nutrients, and contain ingredients that are known to promote breast milk production. Ever since having my baby 3 months...