Next up on our list of healthy recipes is this addicting, lightened up spinach dip! Instead of loading it up with sour cream & mayo like traditional spinach dip, this version includes a hefty amount of plain Greek yogurt (the MVP of healthy substitutions), which adds lots of protein, and no fat! And guess what? It’s equally delicious. Dip all your favorite veggies in it to keep it on the low-cal side.
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
By Nikki Nies, MS,RD, LD
Skinny Spinach Dip
12 oz bag frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
8 oz reduced fat plain cream cheese, softened
1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
3 tablespoons traditional hummus
1 tablespoons minced garlic
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon paprika
½ cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional — but gives it a nice, subtle kick!)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare a skillet with non-stick cooking spray, and sautee frozen spinach over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until completely thawed. Transfer to a fine mesh strainer and press down using paper towels to drain excess liquid.
- Combine spinach, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, Greek yogurt, hummus and spices in a large bowl, and mix well.
- Transfer spinach dip to a glass or ceramic pie dish using a spatula to spread evenly, then top with shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 12-18 minutes or until the cheese and edges are golden brown. (Mine was ready closer to 15 minutes, but all ovens cook a little differently, so be sure to check on it!)
You Might Also Like
By Rowena Rivera
Beets - you either love them or you hate them, but everyone can agree that these dark hued roots do amazing things for your health. On Earth Day this year I wanted to celebrate with a fun recipe "of the earth" and what better way to celebrate than wi...
By Steph Coogan MS RDN, Nutritionist
I created this recipe because I'm a huge fan of chia puddings for breakfast! I have it at least a couple of times a week and always include some nuts and fruit for a balanced start to the day. For this recipe, I included dried plums in order to suppo...
Just because I haven’t been eating meat aside from eggs and fish doesn’t mean I’m sacrificing my enjoyment of grilled food. I’ve been cooking up lots of delicious summer inspired dishes that are PERFECT for the grill (or grill pan)! And the b...
This chocolate frosty smoothie could be eaten for breakfast or dessert.. its that good! What makes it even better is that it’s totally healthy for you! What makes it healthy: Chia seeds are a nutrition powerhouse! The tiny seeds contain so ...
An easy, 12 minute dinner with the perfect sweet and salty flavor combo! I picked up some of their fresh Norwegian Atlantic Salmon and it had the best texture for this Air Fryer Honey Sriracha Salmon. Seriously such an affordable way to get high qual...
It’s no secret that I am a huge fan of chia pudding. And I absolutely love this low-carb berry and tahini combo. Not only does it taste amazing, but it’s packed with antioxidants, fibre, healthy fats, and protein, too! Mixed Berry & Tahini Ch...