It has long been known in Eastern cultures that mushrooms have incredible medicinal properties, but only recently have scientists been digging into those purported benefits. The results have been astounding. Here’s seven reasons why you should you be hanging out with these fungi:
1. Mood Boosting. Stay balanced with three B vitamins, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, that help regulate your mood.
2. Great for skin. B vitamins and master antioxidant, ergothioneine, are anti-inflammatory! Many skin care products use mushroom extract for this reason.
3. Antiviral. Natural antiviral effects bind to viral cells and prevent them from replicating.
4. Blood Sugar Stabilizers. Mushrooms help to regulate glucose levels so they are beneficial for diabetics and hypoglycemics.
5. Immune System Boosters. Mushrooms are one of the only natural food sources of ergosterols, a compound that creates Vitamin D, which alongside beta-glucans stimulate your immune system. Additionally, a beta-glucan molecule called lentinan seems to wake up natural killer (NK) cells and tumor necrosis factor (TNF) alpha activity, to lead to tumor cell death.
6. Cancer Prevention. Mushrooms provide us with nutrients like potassium and selenium, which help to combat prostate cancer and cardiovascular disease. Antioxidants may also be effective in helping to treat cancer and AIDs.
7. Low Calorie Solution. 1 cup of sliced mushrooms equals a mere 15 calories. We particularly love the varieties shiitake, and maitake (aka hen of the woods).
Adding a mere ½ cup of mushrooms to your diet daily could be enough to enjoy their benefits. Now isn’t this list reason enough to jump off your computer right now and get some?
Note: PLEASE consult with your doctor before making any changes to your diet or medications. The material on this site is provided for educational purposes only, and is not to be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.