These chai spiced marshmallows are delicious in hot cocoa, coffee, chai lattes and even by themselves! They give that little extra sweetness that you may want without going over the top!
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
By Liz Lederman
Chai Spiced Marshmallows (Fat-Free, Dairy-Free)
1 cup water divided
2 scoops Further Foods Premium Gelatin Powder
1 cup maple syrup (can also use honey)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Eggnog spice mixture (1/4 teaspoon each of ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg)
1/3 cup arrowroot powder + 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon combined use for dusting the finished marshmallows (optional – you can leave the marshmallows plain if desired)
- Line a 9×13 pan both ways with parchment paper (makes it easier to remove the marshmallows from the pan. Set aside.
- Place gelatin powder and 1/2 cup water in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine then let sit.
- In a medium saucepan, add other 1/2 cup water, maple syrup or honey and salt.
- Heat over medium to medium-high heat, bringing to a boil. Using a candy thermometer, let the mixture boil until it reaches 240 F or soft ball stage. Remove from heat.
- Using either a hand mixer or a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, turn it on low at first, breaking up the gelatin. Very slowly pour the syrup mixture into the gelatin mixture, while slowly turning up the speed on your mixer to high.
- Add the vanilla extract and spices and allow mixture to whip on high for 5-10 minutes until a thick marshmallow whipped cream is produced.
- Transfer the marshmallow cream to your prepared pan and smooth down with the back of your spoon. If using a coating, sprinkle on top of the marshmallows and pat down.You can also use a piece of parchment paper on top to smooth out the marshmallow, and leave it on top to cover it while it is setting.
- Leave your marshmallows out to set for 6-8 hours or overnight. (Note: Do not cover or place marshmallows in the fridge since moisture will cause them to dissolve.)
- Using a knife, cut marshmallows into long strips, and then into squares. Dust marshmallows, on all sides, in your powder of choice, or leave plain.
- Store marshmallows up to a week on your countertop in a sealed container.
Per Serving: Calories: 75; Total Fat: 0 g; Saturated Fat: 0 g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0 g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 5 mg; Potassium: 56 mg; Carbohydrate: 18 g; Fiber: 0 g; Sugar: 16 g; Protein: 1 g
Vitamin C: 0%; Vitamin A: 0%; Iron: 2%; Calcium: 2%