While I do not label myself as a strict plant eater, I can’t say I love meat. And I definitely don’t love cooking meat. SO, I’m always looking for ways to sneak more protein into my diet. There are definitely some good store-bought veggie burgers, but this can become quite pricey. I’ve developed a tasty black bean burger that’s quick and easy! I love to eat these topped with a runny egg or with a plate of veggies.
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
By Emily Cooper
Simple Black Bean and Kale Burgers
estimated prep and cook time,
1 15 oz can black beans
1/4 white onion
1/2 red bell pepper
1 cup kale (or spinach, swiss chard)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 cup oat flour
1. First, drain and rinse black beans.
2. Chop onion and red pepper just enough to fit in food processor.
3. Tear kale into bite size pieces.
4. Add black beans, onion, pepper and kale to a food processor and process until well combined. You might need to scrape down the edges with a spatula.
5. Pour bean mixture into a large mixing bowl and add seasoning, egg and oat flour. Mix well until all ingredients are combined. You might need to add tablespoon or two more flour if the mixture is too wet.
6. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for about 15 mins. While the mix is chilling, preheat the oven to 400F.
7. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil and lightly coat with oil.Using hands, shape the mixture into 5 patties. Be sure not to make the patties too thin or they will dry out.
8. Bake for 8 minutes on one side, flip (be careful!) and bake for an additional 8 minutes.
9. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a week
Per Serving: Calories: 157; Total Fat: 2 g; Saturated Fat: 0 g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0 g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 37 mg; Sodium: 338 mg; Potassium: 447 mg; Carbohydrate: 26 g; Fiber: 6 g; Sugar: 2 g; Protein: 9 g
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C: 63%; Vit A: 42%; Iron:16%; Calcium: 8%;
You Might Also Like
Want to know one of my favorite things about summer? All the fun and fresh produce! And while most people associate watermelon, peaches, cherries, etc. with the summer season, I bet you didn’t know about the wide variety of melons that are also in ...
By Bryn Lutes
I love salmon! I used to be convinced that I was not a fan of fish, but my girlfriend made this dish for me and completely changed my mind :)...
By Rowena Rivera
Beets - you either love them or you hate them, but everyone can agree that these dark hued roots do amazing things for your health. On Earth Day this year I wanted to celebrate with a fun recipe "of the earth" and what better way to celebrate than wi...
Just because I haven’t been eating meat aside from eggs and fish doesn’t mean I’m sacrificing my enjoyment of grilled food. I’ve been cooking up lots of delicious summer inspired dishes that are PERFECT for the grill (or grill pan)! And the b...
An easy, 12 minute dinner with the perfect sweet and salty flavor combo! I picked up some of their fresh Norwegian Atlantic Salmon and it had the best texture for this Air Fryer Honey Sriracha Salmon. Seriously such an affordable way to get high qual...
Funny story: I used to be terrified to make ceviche at home. I would always order it out at restaurants and loved having it at friend’s houses, but making it on own?? That was a no-go! That was until I had a homemade version and saw that it really ...