Turmeric lattes are all the rage these days. These popular drinks are not only delicious, but they provide lots of health benefits, from strengthening your immune system to helping improve brain function. But you don’t need to wait to order one of these tasty drinks at your local coffee shop. Read on to get 2 easy turmeric latte recipes, and learn about the benefits of turmeric lattes.
Tired of having coffee or tea every morning? Not sure how to make things more interesting without having to add sugar and other additives? No worries – we understand completely; the turmeric latte is here to help.
If you don’t know what turmeric is, we got you. Turmeric is an old Asian spice that is derived from the Curcuma long plant. It has been used to add flavor to foods (think curry, coconut rice, and many Indian dishes), and it has also been used for centuries for medicinal purposes thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Mixing turmeric with milk of your choice and a few other ingredients makes a delicious turmeric latte. Here are 2 easy to make Turmeric Latte recipes, plus all the benefits you will get from these delicious, soothing drinks.
Turmeric Latte #1 – Classic
1-2 teaspoons of turmeric
2 cups of your choice milk (we suggest coconut milk)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1-2 pinches of ground ginger (or you can measure out about ⅛ of a teaspoon if you’ve got patience!)
2-4 pinches of cinnamon (or ¼ of a teaspoon, again, your choice!)
2 tablespoons of honey for taste
Pinch of black pepper for better absorption
- Combine the milk and turmeric into a clean bowl, then mix well.
- Add the vanilla extract and the remainder of the dry ingredients. If you’re using honey, this is when you’d add it.
- Pour the mixture into a blender. Puree for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Pour the mixture into a pot and warm on low to medium heat.
Turmeric Latte #2 – Golden Turmeric Latte
1-2 teaspoons of Superfood Turmeric***
1.5 cups of your choice milk (we suggest coconut milk)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- In a saucepan on medium heat, add the milk.
- Just as the milk begins to first heat, add Superfood Turmeric and the vanilla.
- Carefully whisk the mixture until it reaches the desired frothiness and consistency. This may take up to 5 minutes, depending on the size of the pan and your preferred latte texture.
- Let the mixture simmer on low heat.
- Serve into your favorite morning mug! Sprinkle that extra cinnamon to feel extra special professional latte look – it’ll look beautiful on your golden brew.
***Superfood Turmeric contains ground turmeric and 7 other superfood and adaptogens: Schisandra berry, ginger, boswellia cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and black pepper. So you’ll not only get the anti-inflammatory benefits of turmeric in this latte, but lots of other powerful benefits from all the antioxidant and immune boosting ingredients. And the best part is how good this blend tastes!
Turmeric Latte Benefits
Improves Skin Health
Turmeric lattes can help your skin! The therapeutic bioactive component of turmeric is curcumin, which contributes to turmeric’s many health benefits. The antimicrobial properties of turmeric expedite the process of healing wounds and scars, repairing skin and ridding you of irritation and itching by fighting bacteria (1).
Helps Achy Joints
Turmeric latte benefits extend to helping your achy bones and joints. The anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric protect bone materials that can help relieve joint pain and aches, particularly those that are symptomatic of arthritis and osteoarthritis (2). Plus if you use Superfood Turmeric in your turmeric latte, you’ll get the additional anti-inflammatory benefits of the adaptogens and superfoods such as ginger and cinnamon.
Boosts Immune System
Another benefit of turmeric latte is that it has immunoregulatory benefits. Studies have shown that turmeric can increase your white blood cell count (3). This is all thanks to the antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and microbial characteristics.
Improves Brain Function
One of the remarkable properties of turmeric lattes hat we just love to share is that turmeric can support your brain function. Yes, say hello to a sound body and mind. From helping manage depression to preventing the repercussions of degenerative neurological diseases like Alzheimer’s, turmeric latte is here for you!
Lowers Risk of Heart Disease
Turmeric lattes can even lower your risk of heart disease, one of the leading causes of death in Western countries. Curcumin supports the lining of your blood vessels by helping endothelium function (4). Endothelium helps regulate blood pressure, and so by supporting this function, turmeric can potentially reverse the development of heart disease by preventing the conditions that lead to it in the first place, including high cholesterol, unregulated blood pressure, and poor insulin sensitivity.
So, go ahead and treat yourself to a mighty turmeric latte. As you sip on your turmeric latte, know that you are also helping to reduce joint pain and risk of heart disease, supporting your immune system, and promoting skin health and brain function!
A Few Turmeric Latte Tips from the Further Food Family:
- Black pepper is super important when it comes to turmeric beverages because it supports the absorption of curcumin
- To improve latte consistency and feel, consider using an electric milk frother.
- Consider making ready-to-mix versions of your latte in advance. By this, we mean combining the dry mix ingredients ahead of time and keeping them secured in a jar (it must be airtight and not filled to the top – the ingredients need to breathe). This way, when you’re ready for your latte, you only need to add 1 to 2 teaspoons of the pre-made dry mix into the milk and other wet ingredients! Or if you are using Superfood Turmeric, the work has been done for you. All the ingredients to make a super easy and quick turmeric latte are in one scoop! Enjoy!
Some more Turmeric Latte Recipes:
Want to read more?