I absolutely love granola not only because the combination of nuts and seeds makes it a great source of fiber, minerals, and protein, but because this recipe has a perfect combination of salty and sweet. I recommend using this granola on top of your morning smoothie bowls, as a substitute for your morning cereal paired with fruit, or as a topping for dessert. I tend to use it on my frozen banana ice cream bowls a lot.
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
By Amy Shapiro, MS, RD, CDN
Crunchy Nutty Granola
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds
4 cups gluten-free rolled oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup pecans
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 cups shredded coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup maple syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Measure all of the nuts, seeds, and oats into a large mixing bowl.
- Place honey, coconut oil, and maple syrup into a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Heat until the mixture begins to form small bubbles.
- Once the liquid mixture starts to form bubbles remove from heat and pour in vanilla extract.
- Pour liquid mixture over granola and add in the cinnamon and salt. Mix well until very combined.
- Spread out granola mixture on a few sheet trays lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven for ten minutes.
- After ten minutes, take granola out of the oven and toss around with a spatula.
- Place back in oven for another ten minutes or until the granola starts to turn brown. Let the granola cool for about fifteen minutes before eating. Parchment paper is very important here. Without it, the granola will stick to the bottom of the tray.
Per Serving: Calories: 430; Total Fat: 28g; Saturated Fat: 12g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 65mg; Potassium:264mg; Carbohydrate: 39g; Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 16g; Protein: 10g
Nutrition Bonus: Iron:23%
You Might Also Like
If you’re looking for a quick and easy, fuss free yet incredible flavorful way to spice up your fish to add to your weekly lunch or dinner rotation then look no further friend, this sweet and spicy, sugar free, 6 minute chipotle BBQ salmon is exa...
By Further Food
Go back to those bright summer days with this Tropical Green Smoothie! Its vibrant colors and refreshing look go perfectly with its refreshing, light taste. A mix of antioxidant-rich tropical fruits like mangos, oranges and pineapples with heart-heal...
These Green Superfood Smoothie Parfaits have been on rotation over here and for a good reason! They’re delicious, loaded with nutrients, and contain ingredients that are known to promote breast milk production. Ever since having my baby 3 months...
Low carb, high protein and super simple to make… it’s like everyone’s dreams came true and arrived in the form of a breakfast egg cup! And just because this recipe is low carb doesn’t mean it is low in flavor. These Low Carb Egg Muffins are p...
By Olivia Giordano
Summer is my favorite season for many reasons, the top being that the farmer's markets are absolutely flooded with gorgeous produce. I picked up some organic raspberries the other day and decided to make these hearty breakfast muffins. They're high i...
Make this colorful dish for dinner any day of the week! Mahi Mahi is so easy to make plus it's tender and delicious. The homemade mango salsa is the perfect topping and bursts with flavor. Incorporating more fish into your diet is great for heart hea...