For this recipe I used gluten free quinoa penne pasta. Penne is my favorite pasta for salads. Fusilli also works well but I do prefer the stronger consistency of the first, able to absorb my rich and oh so easy to make red bell pepper sauce but still perfectly al dente.
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
By Dianne Rishikof, MS, RDN, LDN
Red Pepper Pistou Pasta
8 ounces or 250 grams gluten free penne (I used quinoa)
1 red bell pepper (cubed)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove (with skin, crushed)
For the Pistou:
2 cups or 32 grams loosely packed basil leaves
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup or 50 mililiter extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the pasta according to package instruction, drain and immediatly put it under cold running water to stop the cooking process (this little trick allows the pasta to be cooked but firm for the salad). Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil with the garlic clove in a skilled over medium–high heat. Remove the garlic clove and reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the bell pepper and sauté for approximately 10 minutes or until cooked, mixing frequently. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- For the pistou, mix the basil and salt in a blender or food processor until a thick paste forms.
- Slowly add the olive oil until you get a smooth green paste.
- Finally transfer the pasta into a big bowl or serving plate and add in the red bell peppers and its delicious juice gently mixing everything in order for the pasta to absorb all the flavour.
- Serve cold, topped with a generous drizzle of the pistou. Put the rest of the pistou in a small bowl and serve it along with the pasta salad.
Per Serving: Calories: 394; Total Fat: 22g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 15g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 287mg; Potassium: 103mg; Carbohydrate: 47g; Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 4g
Nutrition Bonus: Vit C: 87%; Vit A: 27%
You Might Also Like
If you’re looking for a quick and easy, fuss free yet incredible flavorful way to spice up your fish to add to your weekly lunch or dinner rotation then look no further friend, this sweet and spicy, sugar free, 6 minute chipotle BBQ salmon is exa...
By Mackenzie Burgess
This Massaged Kale Salad with Chicken is the perfect, protein-packed dish. Featuring fall produce of your choice so you can customize with your favorites. Add this recipe to your meal prep routine, holiday table, or party platter!...
By Further Food
Go back to those bright summer days with this Tropical Green Smoothie! Its vibrant colors and refreshing look go perfectly with its refreshing, light taste. A mix of antioxidant-rich tropical fruits like mangos, oranges and pineapples with heart-heal...
These Green Superfood Smoothie Parfaits have been on rotation over here and for a good reason! They’re delicious, loaded with nutrients, and contain ingredients that are known to promote breast milk production. Ever since having my baby 3 months...
Low carb, high protein and super simple to make… it’s like everyone’s dreams came true and arrived in the form of a breakfast egg cup! And just because this recipe is low carb doesn’t mean it is low in flavor. These Low Carb Egg Muffins are p...
By Olivia Giordano
Summer is my favorite season for many reasons, the top being that the farmer's markets are absolutely flooded with gorgeous produce. I picked up some organic raspberries the other day and decided to make these hearty breakfast muffins. They're high i...