This is a clean-eating recipe that I love to make when I am needing a detox but still want to feel as though I’ve had a hearty meal. It’s the perfect mid-work-week dinner and the leftovers are great.
Further Food Nutritionist Commentary:
By Dianne Rishikof, MS, RDN, LDN
Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers
4 medium-large green bell peppers
2 bell peppers of your choice (chopped)
1 12oz can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
1/2 red onion (chopped)
1 1/2 cups white button mushrooms (chopped)
3/4 cup kale (chopped)
1 cup brown rice (cooked)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- In a large pot, boil 2-3 inches of water.
- Clean, prep, and chop all veggies. For green bell peppers, be sure to hollow out all seeds.
- In a separate pan, heat olive oil.
- First add onions and chopped bell peppers.
- Next add the kale and mushrooms.
- Once your veggies are cooked, add cooked brown rice and black beans.
- Finally, add tomato paste* and spices.
- Once your water is boiling, submerge the four green bell peppers and allow them to cook for about 5-7 minutes. Cover the pot with a lid for best results.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Remove your green peppers from their boiling water and place them on a baking sheet.
- Allow them to cool for a couple minutes. Fill each pepper with your filling mixture.
- Bake stuffed peppers for 15-20 minutes. To know when they’re ready note that the green of the bell pepper will becoming slightly less vibrant and the edges become crispy.*Make sure your tomato paste does not contain sugar. If it does, use fresh chopped tomatoes and allow them to cook with other veggies.
Per Serving: Calories: 259; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 321mg; Potassium: 842mg; Carbohydrate: 44g; Fiber: 13g; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 12g
Nutrition Bonus: Vit C: 223%; Vit A: 14%; Iron: 6%
You Might Also Like
If you’re looking for a quick and easy, fuss free yet incredible flavorful way to spice up your fish to add to your weekly lunch or dinner rotation then look no further friend, this sweet and spicy, sugar free, 6 minute chipotle BBQ salmon is exa...
By Mackenzie Burgess
This Massaged Kale Salad with Chicken is the perfect, protein-packed dish. Featuring fall produce of your choice so you can customize with your favorites. Add this recipe to your meal prep routine, holiday table, or party platter!...
By Further Food
Go back to those bright summer days with this Tropical Green Smoothie! Its vibrant colors and refreshing look go perfectly with its refreshing, light taste. A mix of antioxidant-rich tropical fruits like mangos, oranges and pineapples with heart-heal...
These Green Superfood Smoothie Parfaits have been on rotation over here and for a good reason! They’re delicious, loaded with nutrients, and contain ingredients that are known to promote breast milk production. Ever since having my baby 3 months...
Low carb, high protein and super simple to make… it’s like everyone’s dreams came true and arrived in the form of a breakfast egg cup! And just because this recipe is low carb doesn’t mean it is low in flavor. These Low Carb Egg Muffins are p...
By Olivia Giordano
Summer is my favorite season for many reasons, the top being that the farmer's markets are absolutely flooded with gorgeous produce. I picked up some organic raspberries the other day and decided to make these hearty breakfast muffins. They're high i...